Looking for the opportunity to provide short-term, pro bono legal service from anywhere at your convenience? IA Free Legal Answers is part of a nationwide, ABA pro bono initiative called ABA Free Legal Answers. Since May 2017, Iowa attorney volunteers have answered civil legal questions from qualified clients across the state who face legal issues in family law, housing, consumer debt, probate and guardianship, work and public benefits.
IA Free Legal Answers is designed like a virtual walk-in legal clinic where qualified clients post questions to the secure website. Then, volunteer attorneys log in to the site, preview questions and select questions to answer. After questions are answered, clients receive an email telling them to log back in to see their answers. Volunteer attorneys are needed to sign-up to answer questions. Experienced practitioners with substantive knowledge in their practice area(s) are highly desirable volunteers for this opportunity.
Attorneys who want to volunteer:
- Remain anonymous to clients (with limited exceptions)
- Are covered by the ABA's malpractice insurance
- Perform limited scope representation (just within the website)
- Commitment to about one hour a month provides legal help for 2-5 people
- Volunteer attorneys report that it takes 10-25 minutes to answer one question
- Volunteer hours can be considered pro bono publico service pursuant to Iowa Supreme Court Rule 32: 6.1
Sign-up via email
View video demonstration