Scroll down to start the registration process or call the ISBA Membership Department at 515-697-7870 to activate your membership today!
Why you should join:
- Absolutely free online legal research provided by Fastcase
- Save time, effort and money in the production of repetitive documents and forms with IowaDocs®.
- Effective, convenient and affordable statewide CLE programs. Discounted rates available for new attorneys, including free on-demand videos to first-year members.
- Subscription to the Iowa Lawyer, the official magazine of The Iowa State Bar Association
- Stay current on Supreme Court and Court of Appeals cases with the Iowa Caselaw Update.
- Receive quick responses to complex questions with our section listservs.
- Access to the most recent civil jury verdicts with the Jury Verdict Reporter email.
- Job seekers may search and apply for the listed jobs or post their resumés on the Career Center site for free.
See all member benefits
During the first-year after admission to practice law in the state of Iowa, lawyers automatically receive a one-year complimentary membership. After that, ISBA provides several membership categories to serve the needs of all lawyers. Activation of membership required by new attorneys to activate complimentary membership.
Members of the legal profession licensed to practice who either reside or practice in Iowa.
Admittance year (membership type)
- Admitted to practice after 3/1/2020
(YLD Year 1)
- Admitted to practice between 7/1/2018 - 2/28/2020
(YLD Years 2 - 3)
- Admitted to practice between 7/1/2016- 6/30/2018
(YLD Years 4 - 5)
- Admitted to practice between 7/1/2012 - 6/30/2016
(YLD Years 6 - 10)
- Admitted to practice prior to 7/1/2012
Out of State Members
of the legal profession in good standing with the State of Iowa who
neither reside nor practice in the state. Dues: $125/yr.
Attorneys holding either a (1) Certificate of Exemption (including those accorded legacy status) or (2) Certificate of Retirement in accordance with Supreme Court Rule 39.7. Dues: $50/yr.
Fifty Year Members
Any ISBA member who has paid membership dues for fifty years. Dues: Waived.
Active Military Members
Dues-paying members of the ISBA who are actively serving in the Armed Forces (Title 10, full time AGR, full time technician). Dues: Waived.
Department of Defense Full Time Employees
Dues-paying members that are Department of Defense employees (full time). Dues: $50/yr.
full time student in good standing enrolled in the College of Law of
either the University of Iowa or of Drake University, or who is a bona
fide Iowa resident attending an American Bar Association accredited Law
School in a state other than Iowa is eligible to law student membership
in this corporation. Law student members shall not vote nor hold any
elective position in the corporation. Membership is free.
you are a non-member wishing to register for an event or purchase one
of our practice related products, please register as a guest. You will
receive an email with a direct link to activate your account.
you are a paralegal, legal assistant or non-lawyer office staff wishing
to register for an event or placed on our electronic communications including the Iowa Lawyer Weekly and The Iowa Lawyer magazine online, please register as a Digital Subscriber. You will receive an email with a direct link to activate your
SELECT MEMBER CATEGORY