Financial assistance for student clerks could help hiring by rural attorneys
Share |

Law students who are hired by rural practitioners to clerk for the summer can apply for financial assistance through two programs offered by the ISBA and by the ISBA’s Rural Practice Committee in cooperation with Iowa Legal Aid. The assistance could benefit practitioners who would be willing to hire a summer clerk, but are reluctant to do so because of costs.

The program stemming from the arrangement between the ISBA’s Rural Practice Committee and Iowa Legal Aid gives students a stipend of $1,000 to $1,500, depending on the number who apply, for providing 50 hours of pro bono work for Legal Aid. Made possible by a grant from the Iowa State Bar Foundation, the stipend program is administered through Iowa Legal Aid, but requires the approval of, and supervision by, the hiring rural practice attorney.

The ISBA program gives students a grant of up to $500 per student to assist with commuting costs, lodging, food, etc., while clerking in a rural area. It is made possible by a grant from the ISBA that was approved by the board of governors at its September 2014 meeting.

Application for the stipend program is on a first-come, first-served basis and is limited to a maximum of 15 students. If 15 students participate, the stipends would be $1,000 per student. The form for applying is available on the Rural Practice Committee’s web page, along with other resources about the Rural Practice Committee’s programs, including resumes from 50-plus students who are interested in clerking in rural areas for the summer. Click on "Application for Rural Practice Committee/Iowa Legal Aid Stipend Program,” fill it out and email it to Alex Kornya ( Some internet browsers, such as Firefox, may require you to download the form to Adobe in order to fill it out. Application deadline is June 1.

Information about the grant for commuting costs, lodging, etc., can be accessed by contacting committee co-chairs Phil Garland or Amy Skogerson. Their contact information is: 641-923-3792, (Garland); or 515 996-4045, (Skogerson).