Are You a Section/Committee Chair?
Do you have a seminar that you need to plan or have questions regarding a Section or Committee Seminar? Please refer to the following information. If you have questions please contact the ISBA CLE Department at 515-697-7874 or email@example.com.
Date & Location
Section Council meets to determine the goal and topic of the seminar. Decide the date (first and second choice) and city location. The Bar office will handle making all of the hotel and meeting arrangements. It is important to give the Bar office this information as soon as possible so your preferred date and location can be secured.
Please indicate on the agenda which presentations may quality for Federal and/or Ethics CLE credit. The Bar office will obtain CLE credit.
- Set your program and speakers. (No less than three months out if possible.)
- Please check the spelling of the names of any non-ISBA members.
- Send the program with speakers' names and CLE committee names to the Bar office.
- CLE Department will put the brochure together and mail. Sometimes the speakers haven’t been confirmed before the first mailing of the program, but it is your best marketing tool to include names in all mailings from the Bar office.
A copy of the program brochure will be faxed to the chair/CLE chair to be proofed before the brochure is mailed out.
Marketing of Program
ISBA will make every attempt to include your program in:
- At least 1 miscellaneous mailer
- At least 1 mailing to your complete section membership
- Any other sections as requested
- On the Bar’s web site (www.iowabar.org)
- In the Iowa Lawyer magazine’s CLE calendar
Please send a copy of everything that you send out to speakers and/or committee members to the Bar office. A copy of the speaker letters and any committee communications will be sent to the chair(s).
Speaker letters from the Bar office include:
- A deadline of 6 weeks before the seminar for outlines to be in to the Bar office for duplication.
- A copy of the outline format instructions
- A request for biographical information for use in introductions
- Audio visual requests
- Hotel information: Number of nights staying and what the Bar office pays
- Lunch and/or banquet attendance check lists
The Bar office will make and pay for all hotel reservations for speakers (one night room and tax for speakers traveling over 100 miles.)Program Outlines
Outlines from speakers are due in the Bar office at least 6 weeks prior to the seminar. If needed, the Bar office may enlist the assistance of the committee chair(s) to help call speakers who have not turned in their outlines.
To have a complete outline book, all speakers should prepare an outline.Day of the Seminar
The Bar office will provide:
- One or two staff members from the Bar office will man the registration table and handle walk-in registrations
- Coffee, soft drinks, and water will be provided at registration and breaks
- Outlines for every registrant
- Outlines will be mailed to those who order ahead of time and for those registrants who do not show up the day of the seminar.
- Evaluations (the results mailed to the chairs after the seminar)
- Name tags
- Speaker biographical information for the moderator to use in introductions
- Walk-in registrations
- Speaker thank you letters (with evaluations) upon conclusion of the seminar